Once you have put together your speaking business, you need to get out there and market yourself to your ideal audiences. Let’s start with…
1) Get Social – Waiting for someone to knock on your door and ask you to speak, will insure that your message will not reach your desired audience. So, it’s time to get social!
- Social Networking – Seek out networking organizations with the express intent to build relationships and help others. In my friend, Bob Burg’s book, “The Go-Giver”, he tells a fictional story that revolves around the story of a young professional (Joe) who is striving for success. Joe is ambitious, however lately it seems like his hard work and efforts are not paying off in terms of results. Following a
disappointing quarter—in terms of sales results—he inadvertently seeks the mentorship of The Chairman.
- Joe then embarks on a learning journey by meeting Go-Givers—friends of The Chairman. Through these interactions, he learns of the “Five Laws of Stratospheric Success”:
- Value: Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.
- Compensation: Your income is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them.
- Influence: Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people’s interests first.
- Authenticity: The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.
- Receptivity: The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving. You will have to read the rest of the story to see how Joe faired, but the point is to give first, not expecting anything in return and you will be blessed. “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” – Luke 6:38
- Social Media – The world at your fingertips – handy & very powerful branding tool. My friend, Tom Gosche, Business Strategist says,
“Brand yourself before someone else brands you.” It’s so important to establish your brand and your authority online, so eventually
people will be seeking you out. Complete your profiles on every platform that attracts your ideal audience and actively engage on
each. Start a conversation and build relationships that same way you do in person.
- Your Current Client List – Your Raving Fans would love to know that you are available to speak to their colleagues, their friends and
their families. They already know how amazing you are and how happy they are with your products and services. So be sure to let them know in your email signature line “Schedule Me to Speak at Your Next Event” and launch your speaking business, just like you would a new product or service with great fanfare!
- Let your own Colleagues, Family and Friends know what you are doing and what audiences you are looking for.
2) Put Your Passion into Print – Write something life-changing.
- Join an online forum, a group or start a discussion.
- Start a blog or an e-newsletter.
- Write articles for publications that demonstrate your expertise
- Turn your talk into an e-book.
Sound overwhelming? Not with the right network! Enlist the expertise of your friends at Engaging Speakers and learn how you, too, can speak your way to more business.
Gail Brown, Founder of Engaging Speakers, email@example.com.